Monday, November 25, 2013

Homestead happenings

It has been some kinda crazy the last couple of weeks,  Where shall I begin hummmm....lets see... Well JC and I both have gotten wonked in the head lately.  Josh's heifer he showed last year has never liked JC, even when she was little she would jump a foot off of the ground when he would walk in the barn, there were lots of times she just snorted at him and pawed the ground.  Well good ole Gum Drop had a calf this month, and one day JC went to the barn to help Josh with the fence. He  was no where near her and she charged him and threw him about 20 feet, Josh came running and kept her from getting him again.  I was in the house getting school stuff together and the next thing I heard was Josh calling for help and running to the house with JC in his arms and blood all over his face.  It scared this momma to death for sure.  We got the blood all cleaned up  and seen that he was going to be alright, but boy did it make my heart stop.   Joshua was up there when it happened, I am to scared to think of what might have happened if he hadn't been there.  It was the Good Lord that kept him from getting hurt any worse.  His mouth and round his eyes swelled for a few days, but he is all good now.  He has a good story to tell for sure.
Who needs to go to a rodeo when we can have one at home....  Then a few days later I was trying to check on something at the well and forgot that the panel around the well would spring back and lets just say my glasses went flying and I saw stars for a while.

Lets see what else, the next day we had another heifer calve and she wouldn't get rid of all the afterbirth and we had to deal with that.  I ended up giving her 3 rounds of antibiotics and two other kinds of hormonal shots to get her to shed it.  I hope it didn't affect her too bad, she has got to have many more babies to pay for herself.
Elizabeth's heifer, California Queen "Cali" .She had a beautiful little bull calf!
Ok, the day after that is the really big one!  We had to take a calf somewhere one day.  The kids and I got her up and in the barn and loaded with out any trouble at all, no yelling, cussing or trying to kill each other or the animal LOL... But I knew that ended up being to easy.  When we got where we were going we realized that she was NOT in the trailer, we realized that somehow the sliding door had come open and it had gotten out somewhere, we just didn't know where.  So we immediately turned around and went back the same way we came and did not see any sign of it.  I called the police and reported it, but still heard nothing for several days, After a few days my daughter and her boyfriend where going to eat out and they called and said they had found it.  It was in a near by little community that I had went right through that day.  It was grazing in some peoples yard.  We chased it for several hours until we lost it, it was late at night and the calf is black, so go figure.  Well it finally made its way down the road to a little farm that has  a few cows and it is still there.  We are still having a terrible time catching the thing.  My dear hubby is not going to forget this anytime soon, he said this was one of those things that he will make sure to remind me of when we get older, as if I could forget it.....
Little gal who is still roaming the countryside.

 These were just some of the bigger things that happened there were lots of little things that went along with those.  I hope and pray that I will not have another week like that for a long time if never!

The last couple of days has been pretty good though.  It hasn't be too terrible.  The kids dog died while we were gone to the state fair and they got a new puppy this week, Cora didn't quiet know what to think about it.
Boys and their beloved Cody  He will be missed!

 The new puppy is Gus, JC is already in love with him.  All little boys need to have a dog.  It just wouldn't be right not to have one around.  Besides I like to have one to let us know when someone drives up or there is a cow out or something.
Cora just didn't know what to think of him.
 ~Sleeping beauty~
This is what I came home to one day...... I left JC in charge of Cora while I went to the barn to give that heifer her shots and when I came back in this is what I found.  I could not resist taking the picture.  Gotta love um!
 We also made a trip to a local state park for a Civil War day weekend.  We enjoyed watching the battles, and taking tours of all the homes.  This particular home was of the local doctor and she was explaining to them how they treated the wounded and what types of medicines they used.  Thank the Good Lord for modern medicine is all I had to say!
 Good ole homemade wheat bread rising!
 Josh got a little buck, he was very proud, not the biggest in the world, but sure tasted good.  Josh feels mighty proud to be able to contribute food to the family.  Hunting is a wonderful thing for young boys to be involved in.  Josh has been hunting since he could walk.  
 It was a cold dreary morning and the best thing to do was snuggle up with little sister and watch a movie! 

Last but not least, fall on the farm.  Home sweet home!
God bless till next time,
Tara

2 comments:

  1. The pictures of JC spending time with Cora are precious! ~ Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't know which one is more precious, Cora or the puppy. Of course Cora is! Great pictures!

    Dana

    ReplyDelete