Sunday, May 22, 2011

busy busy homestead happenings

We have been so terribly busy. It has been a while since my last post, but there has been a lot going on. We have been busy trying to grow our little farm. We bought two new tractors this month. Well one new and one is about 60 years old. The new one is a John Deere 5055 and the other a 1950 Ford 8-N. We needed these so terribly . We have been doing all of our work by hand for the last couple of years and we really needed an front end loader. and the 8-N is for cultivation of the truck patch. I am really excitied about this and we bought some more cattle, and equipment. We still are trying to get the pasture planted in grass hopefully by this time next week that will be finished. We also still have to build a corral, but not quiet sure where the money for that is going to come from yet. God has been so good to us lately that I can't even begin to describe it.

The chickens are growing really fast and I still need to get there mobil pens made and I want to order some broilers also. I am still looking for young pigs to buy, we only fed out 2 this year just to see how they would do and we have loved it, so I think we are going to try for 5 or six this year , we will keep 3 for the freezer and sell the other 3 to pay for feed and butchering cost. I am currently looking into getting some berkshire pigs, but we will have to see.

We had a chicken snake get into the brooder box the other day and it had a chicken hung in its mouth. The chicken was way to big for it to swallow. Lets just say its eyes were bigger than its mouth. My husband got the chicken out of the snakes mouth but it was too late they killed the snake and then the next day we had one killed by somehting else. But so far we have only lost 3 chicks.

Our main problem in our garden right now is the Colorado potatoe bug. We are officially enemies at this point. I do not want to spray insecticide, but I am not having much luck in other ways. I was told to put flour on them, so tomorrow we will try that, it sure isn't going to hurt anything. They have even attacked my tomatoes and peppers.
Well another storm is brewing and the lightning has begun pretty close. I guess I will call it a night.
God BLess ya,
Tara

1 comment:

  1. Please for humanity's sake please do it once
    I have made a blog at blogger.com Since i have added a google adsense in the blog but haven't made a penny with this. I need your help and support to help me make some money to PAY MY Tuition Fees.
    What you have to do is follow these simple steps

    1.go to Google.com and search "kwotz2011.blogspot.com"
    2.then visit my blog from the the search results.
    3.Remain on the page i.e Kwotz for one minute or so and do some random surfing
    4. click ONE of the ads that APPEALS to you from Ads by Google boxes and visit there.
    5.remain on that page for one minute or so and do some random surfing.
    and that's it.

    IMPORTANT:Only two clicks are needed.
    I will be grateful to you.
    I really need your help

    ReplyDelete