Thursday, April 12, 2012

Joyfulness comes with contentment



 
I talked last week about contentment and today I want to talk a little about finding joy.  Joy will in the end help you to be contented.  I am unfortunately preaching to my self this morning.  This last week has found me not feeling so joyous.  It is just satan's way of trying find a foot hold in our home.  What is that old saying if momma aint happy ain't no body happy..  There is a lot of truth to that.  We hold the keys to our family's disposition within ourselves.  So there are a few things that you can try this week;

1. simplify your life
That's right try to simplify as much as you can.  Remember I am preaching to myself this morning.  We have a tendency to have so many activities going on.  We have had to cut back on a lot of stuff that we used to do.  We made a choice several years ago that we would not do sports and do our cattle shows.  It was just to much.  I have cut back on volunteering so much at church.  I realized I don't have to do everything and it is okay for someone else to be in charge.  My family comes first.  I know what you are thinking. That is the church you are supposed to put God first. Yes we are to put the Lord first. But, I realized that my family was falling apart because I spent so much time doing other things.  Also the first way to tear a church apart is to start with the family.  My first calling is to minister to them and then go out. Figure out what you just have to do and do only those things.  Learn to say NO...


2Learn to love the little things.
I am still learning this.  Learn to love the everyday job.  The ones that never seem to end.  For me that is dishes and laundry.  And I hate to do both, but am learning to love them .  One thing is, I have my children help me with these chores.  Many hands make light work. If you have children get them in there to help.  Even if they are young.   Talk about things or sing songs. It will make the time go by quicker. Remember to clean as you prepare your meals and the mess won't be as bad. Also one thing that I have learned is prayer.  I pray for my family at this time too.  It is a good time to thank God for all his blessings.  He is the one that gave you all of the food that enabled you to have that meal. There are so many people today that don't have anything to eat and would be glad for a kitchen full of dirty dishes.   He gave you those clothes to keep you warm and most of all He gave you those children and your husband as a gift.  Every time you pick up your husbands dirty work clothes , just thank the Good Lord for letting him have a job and to keep him safe. 
3. Keep a time of prayer and Bible Study
I have found this to be oh so important.  Just a few minutes in the morning and read a Psalms if nothing else and something I have been learning is to pray for others.  when we pray for other peoples happiness and joy it will bring joy to our lives also.  I can always tell a difference in my day when I have not done my Bible reading and prayer in the morning.   It will set the mood for the whole day.  Don't forget to have a time of bible study with your children during the day.  It doesn't have to be much, just a few minutes.

4. Smile 
Remember attitude is everything.  The more you smile and have a bright attitude it will  spill  over into everything that you do.  I am usually a very smiling person and on the days I am grumpy and grouchy, boy my kids know it.  They even tell me "mom if you could see the look on your face today" . That  is always an eye opener for me.   

Most of all just remember that we are all human and we are going to have those days when the phone is ringing off the hook, everyone wants our attention, and everything is going in circles.  Remember to stop! Look around you and the gifts that have been given you.  Take a break and go have a glass of tea outside for a minute and listen to the birds and smell the fresh air.  Learn to love the little things, the boring and mundane jobs we have to do everyday, go to the Lord in constant prayer and smile and remember to love your life and make it the best it can be and be a blessing to the Lord, and to your family. Hope this helps you this morning.
God bless ya,
Tara   

2 comments:

  1. New to your blog, and this post is so wonderful! I needed this today! Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, and welcome to my blog.

    ReplyDelete